The historic site of Sinai was first built on by the de Schobenhales in the 1200s with a stone manor house and a moat. The moat on its own is a scheduled ancient monument.

Accommodation for the monks of Burton Abbey

The monks of Burton Abbey wanted better accommodation alongside their healing spring, so they brought two timber framed buildings up to the site in the 1400 and mashed them together to make the north east wing of Sinai Park House.

The original buildings date from the 1300s. This practice of moving timber-framed buildings around is possibly the origin of the expression ‘to up sticks’.