Restoration timeline Restoration timeline Restoration timeline

Restoration timeline

Sinai Park House is Grade II* listed and the site with its 13th century moat is separately listed as an ancient monument. Following a number of previous attempts to rescue the house from serious decline, the northeast wing was saved from dereliction in the 1990s by the present owners, with help from English Heritage.

Many local craftsmen worked on the project and the completed wing is now a private house. The garden has also been replanted and sites like the Georgian bridge and the plunge pool are undergoing restoration.

Plans exist to restore the remaining two wings of the house, a project that will take several years and which will also require both local and national support.

Saxons: Used the location as a stronghold due to hilltop site
Medieval Times: The de Schobenhale family resided in the fortified manor house
1330s: Monks built two timber houses to the site (two wings of present building)
1530s: Abbot had his own parlour in the northeast wing
1530s: Dissolution of the Monastries – Sinai Park acquired by William Paget (used as a hunting lodge &
farm)
1605: Paget family built the central section that joins the two wings
1700s: Tudor-style chimneys built
1732: The bridge over the moat built as an aggrandisement of an earlier bridge
1905: The last Paget to own Sinai Park died. The house was sold as part of settlement of family debt.
1920s: RAF personnel based at Sinai Park House
1994: Purchased by the present owners
1999: North East wing completed
2001: Gardens completed
2011/2012: Work commenced on the remaining two wings